1 Dead, 8 Hospitalized Due to Food Poisoning After Eating Puffer Fish
A woman died and eight others get hospitalized due to food poisoning after eating puffer fish in Lapu-Lapu City.
Nowadays, a lot of people love to eat exotic foods, which are very popular all around the world. Most of them love to try something new, which could give a unique sensation to their taste buds.
However, some less-fortunate people have no choice but to eat the available food on the table rather than die of starvation. However, people should still consider the consequences of what they are eating.
Food poisoning is the result of eating contaminated, spoiled, or toxic food. Victims usually suffer from symptoms of food poisoning including nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Young children caught a puffer fish or locally known as “Butete” while fishing. The kids brought the fish to their mom and cooked it. The family usually removes the intestine but they include the eggs during that time.
The family members suffered stomach aches, vomiting, and numbness. The victims have been rushed to the hospital but their mother died on the way. The health personnel also declared the woman dead on arrival.
The health experts also warned the public to avoid eating puffer fish meat because it contains neurotoxin or poison that can paralyze a person.
The social media users expressed their reactions to the post:
What is Puffer Fish?
Tetraodontidae is a family of primarily marine and estuarine fish, which have large external spines and four large teeth. The majority of the pufferfish species are toxic and its internal organs, such as the liver, and sometimes the skin, contain tetrodotoxin,
What can you say about this incident? Just feel free to leave your comments and reactions to this article.