Pres. Duterte Speaks on the Possible Extension of Luzon-Wide Quarantine Due to Coronavirus
DUTERTE – Philippine President Rodrigo Roa Duterte broke his silence on the possible extension of the Luzon-wide quarantine due to the 2019 coronavirus.
The Philippines is one of the many nations affected by the COVID-19, a pandemic that has cost several lives across the globe and urged countries to shut their borders.
The said disease which rapidly spread across the globe was first recorded in Wuhan City, China. In the Chinese country, over 81,000 were infected and at least 3,300 died.
Across the globe, there is now a total of around 1.3 million confirmed coronavirus cases in the different countries. Nearly 75,000 people died of the pandemic.
In the Philippines, the total confirmed coronavirus cases as of this writing is 3,660. The death toll is at 163 while 73 patients recovered from the disease.
Currently, the entire Luzon and several provinces in Visayas and Mindanao are implementing the enhanced community quarantine. The entire country is also under a state of calamity.
Now that the Luzon-wide quarantine over the coronavirus is on its last week, many are curious whether it will be extended or lifted. The cases are still increasing. Recently, Pres. Rodrigo Roa Duterte spoke on the possibility of extending the ECQ.
Based on a report on Bloomberg, the President expressed that he’s “inclined” to extend the coronavirus quarantine until April 30. Also, the Chief Executive is considering the allocation of more funds for the fight against COVID-19’s spread in the country.
Pres. Duterte said that the “economy is not moving” as he ordered the economic officers to look for more budget to help the poor amid the coronavirus quarantine period. Based on the report, the Central Bank of the Philippines has previously lowered its reserve ratio to 12%.
Also, the central bank reduced its key interest rate by 50. Everyone is advised to follow the rules to win the fight against the pandemic.