Update on Cases of Measles in PH as of February 12, 2019
MEASLES – Here is an update on the cases of measles in the Philippines as of February 12, 2019 (Tuesday).
Recently, an outbreak of measles was declared in several areas and regions in the Philippines. The said places include Cagayan Valley, Bicol region, Central Luzon, MIMAROPA, and CALABARZON.
The Department of Health (DOH) has previously called out to parents to have their children vaccinated as it is the only prevention from the viral infection. A huge part of the patients now are children.
The DOH also asked the parents to separate the issue of the Dengvaxia controversy from the immunization of children. Health Secretary Francisco Duque III stressed that the safety of the kids is in the hands of the parents.
Previously, the count for patients rose to more than a thousand. A hospital in Manila, the San Lazaro Hospital, was even filled with patients suffering from the viral infection. Most are children who have not gone through vaccination.
Based on a recent report of UNTV, the count for the measles cases in the Philippines now has rose to almost 4,300 since January 2019. Furthermore, the count for those who died of the viral infection has reached 70.
The common symptoms of the said infection is fever and skin rashes. Below is a poster from the DOH for more information regarding it: