What Is Pretend? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS PRETEND – In this topic, we will first know and learn the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- speak and act so as to make it appear that something is the case when in fact it is not
- lay claim to (a quality or title).
- give the appearance of feeling or possessing (an emotion or quality); simulate.
- not really what it is represented as being; used in a game or deception.
Meanwhile, the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to give a false appearance of being, possessing, or performing
- to make believe
- to claim, represent, or assert falsely
- to feign an action, part, or role especially in play
- to put in a claim
- being a nonfunctional imitation
- not genuine
Here are some of the following synonyms:
- make as if
- put on an act
- make believe
- play at
- put on
It is a late Middle English term which is from the Latin praetendere, which means ‘stretch forth, claim’,
Here are some examples of the usage of this term:
- The first thing the little humbug did was to produce a tiny white piglet from underneath his hat and pretend to pull it apart, making two.
- I wear it too, when I’m alone, and pretend that we are one forever.
- It began with a glance as we passed each other the first time, a smile the next two or three laps, and then a pretend rest stop.
- Jenn resisted the urge to leave, wanting to pretend things were as normal as possible between them.