Guide on Preposition Specifically on the Usage of “On”, “In”, & “At”
PREPOSITION – Here is a guide on when to use the prepositions “on”, “in”, and “at’.
One of the parts of speech in English is the preposition. They are often used in sentence to show the relationship between a noun or a pronoun and the other parts of the sentence.
When it comes to this part of speech, among the most common examples are the “on”, “in”, and “at” which are usually present in every paragraph. However, undeniably, most of use are usually confused about their usage.
In this article, we will know more about preposition specifically on when to use b”on”, “in”, and “at”.
Based on an article on Ginger Software, here is a guide on when to use the prepositions “on”, “in’, and “at”:
Rule in Using “On”…
The preposition “on” is used when referring to something that comes with a surface. It is also used in referring to specific days of the week and as well as complete dates.
- The chips are on the table.
- The family picture of the Gutierrez clan was placed on the wall.
- Monique, Dani, and Atasha will meet for their project on Monday.
- The dog is on the couch.
- Venice’s birthday is on January 15, 2010.
Rule in Using “In”…
“In” is used in referring to an object or a person within a boundaries or inside something that is enclosed. It is also used in referring to incomplete dates and as well as countries.
- Shanelle was in the hospital for a check-up when her mother called.
- Matthew is in Brunei right now for a business trip.
- The children are playing in the garden.
- Avery, Duchess, and Olive will play in the living room later.
- It was in 1940 when the shopping mall was built.
Rule in Using “At”…
Based on the article, the preposition “at” is used in referring to a specific point. It is also used in referring to time.
- Maggy is waiting for you at the entrance of the shopping mall.
- The driver arrived at exactly 4:00 o’clock in the afternoon.
- Michael stood at the bus stop waiting for his younger sister to arrive.
- At 6:15 in the morning, the group decided to leave for Cebu.
- Did you find Lucas at the corner?