in:
Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...

Metro Manila Mayors Speak on Side Over Possible ECQ Extension

METRO MANILA MAYORS – The City Mayors in the National Capital Region (NCR) are calling for additional assistance if the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) will be extended.

The strictest level of community quarantine measure is the Enhanced Community Quarantine. More commonly called as ECQ, several areas in the Philippines now are under the said measure.

In fact, the whole Metro Manila is under ECQ until August 20. The two-week lockdown is in response to the presence of the Delta variant in the country. It is known to have the ability to spread faster compared with other variants of the virus.

Aside from Metro Manila, there are several provinces that are also under the same measure now with different expiry dates. The national government previously extended assistance to those who will be greatly affected by the ECQ.

visit: Business Groups React To the Possibility of Extending Metro Manila ECQ

Metro Manila Mayors
Photo: Philippine Star

After August 20, the ECQ in Metro Manila may be lifted and downgraded or extended. In case of the latter, the Metro Manila Mayors have already expressed a call for additional assistance from the national government.

Based on a report on ABS-CBN News, the Metro Manila Council said that the local government units may not afford another one-week extension of the ECQ. Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte and San Juan Mayor Francis Zamora both share the same stand that their LGUs cannot sustain it.

Both Mayors also believe that their LGUs can support the residents if it would be a granular lockdown. According to the San Juan Mayor, they can give food packs to the affected areas and P3,000.00 to households that will have a positive case.

Pasig Mayor Vico Sotto also aired that their LGU has limited funds now. He is asking understanding on those who will not be able to receive assistance now and assured that they will be given grocery food packs.

More updates may be posted soon. Thank you for visiting Philnews.ph. You may express your thoughts and reactions below through the comment section. You may also follow us on Facebook, on Twitter, and subscribe to our YouTube channel Philnews Ph.

READ ALSO: PH Travel Ban on 10 Countries Extended Until August 31

Share to Facebook Share to Twitter More...

comment(s) for this post "Metro Manila Mayors Call for Additional Assistance if ECQ Will Be Extended". Tell us what you think abut this post by leaving your comments below.

{ 0 comments… add one }

Leave a Comment