DepEd Withdraw Plan to Extend School Year & Shorten Summer Break to 2 Weeks
The Department of Education canceled its plan to shorten the summer break to two weeks after receiving criticisms.
Previously, the education department received a massive amount of criticisms from the Filipino people after proposing to shorten the summer break to two weeks and extend the days of classes this school year.
Education Undersecretary Diosdado San Antonio announced that the agency decided to cancel the proposed two-week break considering the objection of the Filipino people including students, teachers and youth groups.
“It was among the many options we were considering but noting the objections from our stakeholders, we will no longer propose a two-week break,” San Antonio said.
On Tuesday (March 2, 2021), DepEd adjusted the current school calendar moving that last day of classes from June 11 to July 10 to resolve the learning gaps. However, the official could not yet determine if the adjustments would shorten the vacation.
Education Undersecretary Nepomuceno Malaluan said that the department was still studying the date of class opening next school year. “The opening of classes in the next school year is still under deliberation,” Malaluan said.
What can you say about this announcement? Just feel free to leave your comments and reactions to this article.