What Is Allay? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS ALLAY– In this topic, we are going to know and learn what allay is, the meaning of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- diminish or put at rest (fear, suspicion, or worry).
- relieve or alleviate (pain or hunger).
Meanwhile, the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to subdue or reduce in intensity or severity
- to make quiet
- to diminish in strength
Here are some of the following synonyms:
- take the edge off
It is from an Old English term ālecgan, which means ‘lay down or aside’.
Here are some examples of the usage of this term:
- But nothing could now allay the inextinguishable hatred of the conquered people.
- An attempt was made at the council of Poitiers in 1076 to allay the agitation caused by the controversy, but it failed, and Berengar narrowly escaped death in a tumult.
- Although John George was unable to procure his minister’s release, Leopold managed to allay the elector’s anger, and early in 1693 the Saxon soldiers rejoined the imperialists.
- A good palliative is sweet oil; this will allay any corrosive irritation of the throat and stomach, and at the same time cause vomiting.