SolGen Calida reiterated that ABS-CBN violated the law
SolGen Jose Calida, during the House hearing on ABS-CBN franchise, stressed that they will not stop their fight against the TV network with its alleged violations.
Previously, the Solicitor General did not attend the House hearing on May 26 as he cited the existing principle of sub judice. He sent a letter to Representative Franz Alvarez, chairman of the House Legislative Committee explaining the reason for his absence.
However, on June 1, Calida graced the House hearing of his presence during the hearing on the franchise of ABS-CBN via Zoom.
He said that the Office of the Solicitor General has been watching over the implementation of the rule of law as well as the good governance in the country. However, he said that he will not be answering questions regarding matters that are pending before the Supreme Court.
It can be recalled that SolGen Calida filed a petition before the SC to revoke the franchise of the TV giant.
Based on the Twitter post from CNN Philippines, Calida has maintained his stand that ABS-CBN violated the law. He also stressed that reaching this point of the legal battle, they have no intention to surrender.
“We championed this fight for the rule of law in the likes of the Sereno and De Lima cases — both filed and won before the Supreme Court. Bakit pa kami titigil ngayon?” the Solicitor General said.
As a reason, Calida cited that the media company admitted the issuance of PDRs (Philippine Depository Receipt) that allegedly allowed foreign entities to take part in the ownership.
These allegations have been previously denied by ABS-CBN chief executive officer Carlo Katigbak.
What can you say about this?
READ ALSO: Nash Aguas and Mika dela Cruz are Already Living Together?