Calvin Abueva issue prompted player’s indefinite suspension.
CALVIN ABUEVA ISSUE – The professional basketball player Calvin Abueva faces indefinite suspension and fined due to lewd behaviors during on-court games.
In a previous article, the Phoenix Fuel player Calvin Abueva got involved in a verbal altercation while on-court with the girlfriend of a player from the opposition. Accordingly, she was the one who started it and he just returned the favor. He denied to indicate his apologies after he was apparently caught making obscene gestures at her, calling her a “bitch”, and flashing a middle finger. This is during their 103-98 win against the Blackwater last May 31.
Now, in another on-court incident, during their blowout loss to TNT a couple of days after the encounter, the controversial forward once again got involved in an altercation during the game against opponent player clotheslining import Terrence Jones.
He got hit in the groin area which was missed to be called out by the referee. This has caused for Abueva to hit Jones in the face which prompted his ejection from the game. Before leaving the court, he danced on top of the official’s table.
With all these happenings, PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial got him indefinitely suspended and fined P70,000.00 (P20,000.00 for the verbal altercation with a fan and for making obscene gestures, and P50,000.00 for a F2 against Terrence Jones).
Accordingly, “Commissioner Marcial said that he had to impose the penalty of indefinite suspension to instill discipline and maintain professionalism in the league. He said that he can no longer allow Abueva to continue with his offensive and obnoxious on-court behavior against the fans and his fellow players, which the fiery player is known for.”
Meanwhile, here are the other persons involved who got penalized:
- Phoenix Fuel Masters Head Coach Louie Alas suspended for (2) games and fined P40,000 (P20,000 for his Flagrant Misconduct for physically contacting TNT’s David Semerad, and P20,000 for issuing statements detrimental to the league)
- Rob Dozier and Jason Perkins both fined P1,000 each for their technical foul for 2nd motion and verbal altercation, respectively
- TNT’s Anthony and David Semerad fined P20,000 each for their involvement
- Jason Castro fined P1,000 for his engagement in verbal altercation
- TNT import Terrence Jones meanwhile was fined P70,000 ( P50,000 for hitting Calvin Abueva in his private area, and P20,000 for physically contacting an official
- TNT Assistant Team Manager Miguel Fernandez fined P10,000 for approaching the Technical Table
- Referee, Bing Oliva suspended for (10) ten playing game days after he missed out to call Jones
What can you say about this?