What Is Kidnap? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS KIDNAP – In this topic, we will first know and learn the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- take (someone) away illegally by force, typically to obtain a ransom.
- the action of kidnapping someone
Meanwhile, the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to seize and detain or carry away by unlawful force or fraud and often with a demand for ransom
Here are some of the following synonyms:
- carry off
- hold to ransom
- take as hostage
- run off/away with
It is a late 17th century, which is a back-formation from the term kidnapper which is a combination of the term kid, and the slang nap or ‘nab, seize’.
Here are some examples of the usage of this term:
- There are very few fathers of kidnap victims who aren’t worried about their financial affairs being looked at too closely.
- Tanner disapproved of kidnap insurance and companies like D’Arcy’s which negotiated for hostage release.
- After a while they kidnap and murder a young boy for kicks[Sentencedict.com ], bashing him over the head with a blunt instrument.
- There are growing fears for the safety of the kidnap victims — fears that have been fuelled by rumours of new terrorist threats.
READ ALSO: What Is Imputation? Definition And Usage Of This Term