Duterte Allows Limited Face-To-Face Classes In Areas W/ Low Coronavirus Cases
DUTERTE – President Rodrigo Roa Duterte approved the proposal of DepEd to conduct a limited face-to-face classes in MGCQ ares.
Last March, Philippine President Rodrigo Roa Duterte immediately suspend classes in all public and private schools amid the rise of 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) cases in the country. He said the suspension was needed to halt the spread of the deadly virus.
The Department of Education (DepEd) announced that the school year 2020-2021 will start on August 24. They are still eyeing on reopening of schools despite the threat posed by the pandemic.
DepEd said they are preparing for a distance learning approach. They said they will provide printed modules to students who don’t have access to the internet or computers.
On Tuesday, July 21, President Rodrigo Duterte approved the proposal of DepEd to conduct limited face-to-face classes in modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) areas. Based on a report from Inquirer, DepEd Secretary Leonor Briones proposed it during a meeting with the chief executive and other members of the cabinet on Monday night.
Briones said the face-to-face classes will only be for a day or two. She also noted that it will address “inequality gaps.”
According to the report, Education Secretary Leonor Briones said if they will rely on the online classes amid the health crisis, it will have “equity problems” for students who don’t have access to the internet.
After DepEd chief’s presentation, President Rodrigo Duterte said he’s “okay” with the proposal. “I’m with you on this,” he said. The 75-year-old chief executive previously announced that no classroom classes will be made in the absence of a coronavirus vaccine.
What can you say about this article? Leave your comments and reactions below.