How To Get To Bangkok From Manila
BANGKOK – Here’s how to travel from Manila to Bangkok, Thailand by train, bus, and plane.
Bangkok, the capital and central hub of Thailand, serves as the country’s commercial, economic, and political center. The city is known by the name Bangkok among foreigners, while the locals refer to it as Krung Thep, meaning “City of Angels.”
The official name, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon, is often shortened to Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit.
While appearing as a modern metropolis at first glance, Bangkok retains a strong connection to its historical roots. It became the capital in 1782 when King Rama I relocated the population to the current site along the Chao Phraya River after the fall of Ayutthaya in 1767. Many of the city’s popular attractions, such as the Grand Palace complex and other temples, were built during King Rama I’s reign.
To travel to Bangkok, you can take advantage of its well-connected airports. The city has two airports: Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), the larger and newer airport located east of the city, and Don Mueang Airport (DMK), situated to the north of the city center. Suvarnabhumi Airport caters to most airlines, while Don Mueang Airport primarily serves AirAsia, Nok Air, Thai Lion Air, and TigerAir Taiwan.
If you’re traveling from Manila, you have various options for direct flights to Bangkok, operated by airlines like Philippine Airlines, Cebu Pacific Air, and Thai Airways to Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), and Philippines AirAsia to Don Mueang Airport (DMK). The travel time from Manila to Bangkok typically takes around 3.5 to 4 hours.
From Suvarnabhumi Airport to Bangkok City Center
The fastest option is the AIRPORT RAIL LINK, which allows you to avoid the notorious traffic jams in Bangkok. You can find the station in the basement of the airport’s passenger terminal. Trains operate every 15 minutes from 6 am to 12 midnight (every 10 minutes during peak hours).
- To SUKHUMVIT or SILOM Area: Transfer to the MRT Blue Line at Makkasan Station or the BTS Sukhumvit Line (Light Green Line) at Phayathai Station, depending on your hotel’s location.
- To SIAM Area: Transfer to the BTS Sukhumvit Line (Light Green Line) at Phayathai Station and take a train bound for Kheha. Get off at Siam Station or the nearest station to your destination.
- To VICTORY MONUMENT Area: Transfer to the BTS Sukhumvit Line (Light Green Line) at Phayathai Station and catch a train bound for Kho Khot. Alight at Victory Monument Station.
- To KHAO SAN Area: Transfer to the MRT Blue Line at Petchaburi Station from Makkasan Station, and get off at Sam Yot Station. From there, take a cab, tuk-tuk, or Grab to Khao San.
By Taxi or Grab
For groups or passengers with heavy luggage, consider taking a cab or booking a Grab car directly from the airport, especially if your destination is the Khao San area. Always insist on using the meter for taxis.
From Don Mueang Airport to Bangkok City Center
As of August 2022, Don Mueang Airport is connected to Bangkok’s train network. You can walk to the Don Mueang Station, along the SRT Dark Red Line, and board a train bound for Bang Sue. Then, transfer to the MRT Blue Line.
- To SILOM Area: Most Silom area stations are along the MRT Blue Line, so alight at the station closest to your hotel.
- To SIAM Area: Transfer to the BTS Sukhumvit Line (Light Green Line) at Mochit Station from Chatuchak Park Station. Take a train bound for Kheha and get off at Siam Station or the nearest station to your destination.
- To VICTORY MONUMENT Area: Transfer to the BTS Sukhumvit Line (Light Green Line) at Phayathai Station and catch a train bound for Kheha. Alight at Victory Monument Station.
- To SUKHUMVIT Area: Depending on the station closest to your hotel, you may already be on the same line, but if not, alight at Chatuchak Park and transfer to Mochit Station. Then, board a train bound for Kheha.
- To KHAO SAN Area: Alight at Sam Yot Station (along the MRT Blue Line) and take a cab, tuktuk, or Grab to Khao San.
If you prefer not to take the train, you can take the bus and then switch to the BTS/MRT following the steps above.
There are direct buses from Don Mueang Airport to select destinations in Bangkok. Refer to this page for a complete list of stops and routes.
- To MOCHIT BUS TERMINAL: Bus A1
- To BTS MO CHIT STATION: Bus A1
- To VICTORY MONUMENT: Bus A2
- To BTS RATCHADAMRI STATION: Bus A3
- To LUMPHINI PARK: Bus A3
- To KHAO SAN ROAD: Bus A4
By Taxi or Grab
For a more straightforward journey, consider taking a cab or booking a Grab car directly from the airport, especially if you’re headed to the Khao San area. Always insist on using the meter for taxis.
Note: Travel times may vary depending on traffic conditions.
What can you say about this article? Leave your comments and reactions below.