This is the Jun Cruz Reyes Biography – some details about his life, career, and awards received.
JUN CRUZ REYES BIOGRAPHY – Here are some things you would like to know about Jun Cruz Reyes as an outstanding writer.
The “enfant terrible” of Philippine Letters is Jun Cruz Reyes who is now one of the most outstanding and most prolific writers in the country. He was the one who introduced “wikang kanto” to Philippine Literature where informal language is used in writing. This is the time when many are engrossed in writing in high formalism.
Apart from being a brilliant writer, he was called “genius” by National Artist for Literature Dr. Bienvenido Lumbera for his remarkable skills as an artist. He is called “Amang”. Reyes is also a sculptor, painter, and filmmaker. His documentary film “Dumagat, Ibong Lagalag” actually won a Catholic Mass Media Award.
Check out some recognitions he has received:
- U.P. Press, Centennial Publication Awards, for the Novel Etsa-puwera, 2008
- Gold Prize Winner, Philippine Literary Centennial Publication Awards, for the Novel Etsa-puwera, 1999
- Gawad Natatanging Publikasyon (Exemplary Publication Award), (an award tantamount to an international award), Office of the U.P. President, 2001
- Gawad Alagad ni Balagtas (Disciple of Balagtas), Unyon ng mga Manunulat sa Pilipinas (UMPIL), 2002.
- Dangal ng Lipi ng Bulacan (Pride of the Race), sa Arte at Panitikan, Provincial Government of Bulacan, 1994.
- Patnubay ng Lahi sa Literatura (Beacon of the Nation in Literature), City Government of Manila, 2012.
- PANDAWAN: Ani ng Sining ng Mga Bulakenyo, given by the Provincial Government of Bulacan, in cooperation with the Bulacan State University, February 2014
- Most Outstanding Alumnus for Literature and the Arts, Diamond Anniversary, Hagunoy Institute, Hagunoy, Bulacan, 2001
- Cited in the Cultural Center of the Philippines “Encyclopedia of Philippine Arts, Vol. 9, 1994, Manila
- 2014 Southeast Asian (S.E.A.) Award for his poem “Bunso”
- 1st Prize National Centennial Literary Contest 1998
- Best Assistant Professor ng College of Arts and Letters of UP Diliman
- Most Outstanding Faculty of Polytechnic University of the Philippines
- Award from Gawad Alagad ni Balagtas ng Unyon ng Manunulat sa Pilipinas 2002
Several books he published were also awarded like Imbestigasyon sa: Ang Huling Dalagang Bukid; Authobiography na Mali; Etsa-puwera; Tutubi-tutubi, Wag Kang Magpahuli sa Mamang Salbahe; Ka Amado, Ang Paghahanap sa Nawawalang Epiko ng Katagalugan; and Armando.
- Deogracias Rosario Biography – “Ama ng Maikling Kathang Tagalog”
- Edgardo M. Reyes Biography and Some Of His Notable Works
What can you say about this? Let us know!
For more news and updates, follow us on Twitter:@philnews_ph Facebook:@PhilNews and; YouTube channel Philnews Ph.