What Is Sink? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS SINK – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary described this term as the following:
- go down below the surface of something, especially of a liquid; become submerged.
- descend; drop.
- disappear and not be seen or heard of again
- gradually decrease or decline in value, amount, quality, or intensity.
- lapse or fall into a particular state or condition, typically one that is unwelcome or unpleasant
- insert beneath a surface by digging or hollowing out
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to go to the bottom
- to become partly buried
- to become engulfed
- to fall or drop to a lower place or level
- to flow at a lower depth or level
Synonyms and Antonyms
Here are the following synonyms and antonyms of this term:
- go down
- go under
- stand up
Here are some of the examples:
- Carmen carried the basket of eggs to the counter beside the sink and watched as Alex took the lid off the roasting pan.
- Jim closed the door, and Lana watched the submarine sink quietly into the surrounding water and disappear.
- Let that sink in: By dividing work up among people so they could specialize, we went from bows and arrows to Apollo moon missions.
- She slammed the coffee cup in the sink and the hot liquid splashed against the window.