What should we know about the Eileen Sarmenta case?
EILEEN SARMENTA CASE – The netizens recall what happened to the unfortunate fate of 21-year-old UPLB student Eileen Sarmenta.
They were not celebrities but University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) students Eileen Sarmenta and her companion Allan Gomez left a dark story in the country’s history – the story of their life which was violently robbed from them. And what made people remember their story if the proven guilty of the crime former Mayor Antonio Sanchez was in jail since 1995?
It was when Bureau of Corrections Director General Nicanor Faeldon announced that he is a candidate for release. And this report has then sparked outrage in various social media platforms.
Here’s what happened to the case:
- The trial before the conviction of Sanchez and six other men lasted for 16 months and he was firmly refuting that they did it. They were penalized with reclusion perpetua and to pay Php-11.3 million for the damages. The hearings started on Sept. 29, 1993, and ended Jan. 31, 1995.
- Sarmenta interviewed Sanchez for the school paper – that was their first interaction and he had become interested in her since. She was then “gifted” to the mayor brought in his rest house in Laguna.
- The mayor did it first and returned the student as a “gift” to his men. In an unimaginable scene, six other men did the same thing to her before she was shot in the face. Medico Legal report showed that the “fluid” found in Eileen filled a can of sardines.
- October 10, 2006, in a surprise inspection, illegal substances were discovered inside Sanchez’s jail. In another inspection, P1.5 million worth of these illegal substances was found again and also seized from his jail are air-conditioning unit and flat-screen TV.
- This August 2019, according to ABS-CBN’s report, with his possible release being a shock to everyone, Ma. Clara Sarmenta, Eileen’s mother, demanded for the authorities to show proof that the convicted former Mayor showed good behavior in jail.
What can you say about this?