Walden Bello’s Platforms If He Wins Vice President & Accomplishments
WALDEN BELLO’S PLATFORMS – Here are the accomplishments of Walden Bello and his plans if he wins the May 2022 Elections.
Walden Mauricio Flores Bello is an activist, environmentalist, social worker, and political analyst since the mid-70s. In 2016, he launched a failed bid for a Senate seat.
‘Laban ng Masa’ coalition launched a 300K signature campaign to urge the 76-year-old activist to run for president in the 2022 polls. Bello eventually agreed to be Leody de Guzman’s running mate.
Walden Bello was born on November 11, 1945 in Cardona, Rizal. His family paid for his Jesuit schooling at the Ateneo de Manila University. He also attended graduate school at Princeton University. Bello received his Ph.D. in sociology from Princeton in 1975.
Bello married Thai executive Suranuch Thongsila in a private civil ceremony in Wayne County, Pennsylvania, on April 13, 2015.
Walden Bello began his activism during the Martial Law regime. He coordinated with the Anti-Martial Law Coalition and joined the international movement to restore democracy in the country.
From 2010 to 2015, he served as the chairperson of the House of the Committee on overseas workers’ affairs. He also promoted the protection of OFWs. As a legislator in the House of Representatives, Bello authored at least 6 laws. Among the laws he authored is the Human Rights Victims Reparation and Recognition Act of 2013.
Walden Bello’s Platforms
- Health; Pandemic Response
- Aid, vaccines, protection for all, including paid leaves for workers who get sick or go into quarantine.
- Pro-people, medically informed, and demilitarized pandemic response.
- Free quality healthcare for all.
- Increased wages and benefits for the healthcare workers.
- Workers’ Rights & Welfare
- Mass public employment program.
- Ban on contractualization employees.
- Increase the minimum wage to P750 a day.
- Price controls on oil, electricity, internet, water, farm inputs, and other basic commodities.
- Provide unemployment benefits to all displaced workers.
- Uphold climate justice by demanding reparations from rich countries.
- Repeal the Mining Act; phase out all fossil-fuel-based power plants; ecologically restore land, forests, and all bodies of water; stop all environmentally-destructive infrastructure projects; promote transport justice, and initiate a program of ecologically sustainable reindustrialization.
- Pursue just transition to a low carbon economy and democratically-owned, renewable and clean energy systems.
- Disbanding Duterte’s controversial National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict.
- Immediate repeal of the Anti-Terrorism Act of 2020.
- Ending prosecution of media outlets.
- Resumption of peace talks with communist rebels.
- Prosecute past and present public officials for crimes against public good, such as extrajudicial killings, through the local justice system and the International Criminal Court.
- Significantly reduce the budget of all security-related and defense agencies relative to the social services budget, and rejected vice presidential candidate Sara Duterte’s proposal to make military service mandatory for young Filipinos.
- Institute direct democracy.
- Pursue independent foreign policy.
- Economy; Income Inequality
- Reorient the economy to meet domestic needs.
- Wealth/billionaires tax on country’s richest 250 families.
- Reversal of privatization of public services by refunding and building more and better public schools, hospitals, parks, libraries, day-care centers, evacuation centers, and other social assistance centers.
- Repealing value-added tax and the Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion Act in favor of a “more progressive” tax system.
- Seizing the P126 billion Marcos ill-gotten wealth to boost the COVID-19 response budget.
- Repeal of R.A. 11203, or the rice tariffication law.
Vice-Presidential Running-Mate & Senate Slate
- Political Party
Partido Lakas ng Masa
- Presidential Runningmate
- Senate Slate:
Leila de Lima
What can you say about this article? Leave your comments and reactions below.