What Is Awful? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS AWFUL – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- very bad or unpleasant
- extremely shocking; horrific
- (of a person) very unwell, troubled, or unhappy.
- used to emphasize the extent of something, especially something unpleasant or negative.
- awfully; very.
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- extremely disagreeable or objectionable
- exceedingly great —used as an intensive
- deeply respectful or reverential
Here are some of the following synonyms of this term:
- very unpleasant
It is a combination of the term ‘awe’ and the suffix ‘-ful’.
- Are you going to tell everyone…those awful stories about my great-aunt?
- If I had a horse like you I wouldn’t drag him out in this awful desert.
- She shook her head, once again amazed at how awful pain was.
- The awful truth about his disappearance finally dawned on her.