What Is Smirk? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS SMIRK – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- smile in an irritatingly conceited, or silly way.
- a conceited, or silly smile.
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to smile in a condescending way
- to say or express (something) with a smirk
Here are some of the following synonyms of this term:
- smile smugly
It is derived from the Old English term sme(a)rcian, which came from a base term that is shared by smile. Its early sense was ‘to smile’ but later gained a notion of smugness or silliness.
Here are some of the examples:
- “I seem to have touched a nerve,” said Malfoy, smirking.
- Cluny lay back and smirked. Everything was going according to plan.
- A former prosecutor, she deploys an interrogation style that is impatient and knowing, almost amused. The eyebrows go up, a faint smirk plays around the lips: you might as well fess up.
- He sauntered down Main Street, the hint of a self-satisfied smirk playing across full, pink lips.