What Are The Examples Of Sedimentary Rocks? (Answer)
EXAMPLES OF SEDIMENTARY ROCKS – In this topic, we will now know the following examples of sedimentary rocks, one of the three types of rocks.
Sedimentary rocks are one of the three types of rocks that are formed when particles of sand, shells, pebbles, and other fragments of material combined together to what we call sediments, hence, the name.
- A coarse grained clastic rock which is made of a fracion of rounded to subangular gravel-size clasts such as granules, pebbles, cobbles, and boulders. They are formed via the consolidation and lithification of gravel.
- These are clastic rocks that are made from large angular fragments. These are formed from the accumulation of broken, angular fragmants of rock or debris.
- A carbonate rock which is made from the skeletal remains of marine life such as coral, foraminifera, and molluscs. 10% of sedimentary rocks are limestones.
- A clastic rock made from sand-sized mineral particles or rock fragments. Most of these are composed of quartz or feldspar.
- A fine-grained rock which is formed from the compaction of silt and minerals that are clay-sized that we called mud. Shale is classified under a type of sedimentary rocks called mudstones.