What Are The Countries That The Portuguese Empire Colonized?
PORTUGUESE EMPIRE – In this topic, we will now know the following countries that were under the control of the Portuguese Empire.
The Portuguese Overseas or the Portuguese Colonial Empire is one of the longest-lived empires in the world from the early 14th century up to the late 90s.
It is composed of territories and colonies overseas that are under the rule of Portugal.
Here are the following countries and territories colonized by this empire, according to ThoughtCo:
- Brazil (Capital: Brasilia)
- By far the largest colony of this empire, the Federative Republic of Brazil is also the largest country in South America and Latin America.
- Angola (Capital: Luanda)
- The Republic of Angola is a country in the west coast of south central Africa. It is the continent’s seventh largest country.
- Mozambique (Capital: Maputo)
- The Republic of Mozambique is a country in the south east region of Africa
- Guinea-Bissau (Capital: Bissau)
- The Republic of Guinea-Bissau, also known at that time as Portuguese Bissau, is a country in the western region of Africa and was once a part of the Gabu kingdom.
- Cape Verde (Capital: Praia)
- Cabo Verde or the Republic of Cabo Verde is an archipelagic country of 10 volcanic islands in the Atlantic Ocean
- São Tomé and Príncipe (Capital: São Tomé)
- The Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe is an island country located in the Gulf of Guinea.
- Goa, India (Capital: Panajim)
- Goa is a state on the south west coast of India in the Konkan region.
- East Timor (Capital: Dili)
- The Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste or Timor-Leste is a Southeast Asian country which is the eastern half of the island of Timor
- The Macao Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, also known at that time as Portuguese Macau is a special administrative region of China