Here are some oarfish facts you might need to know.
OARFISH FACTS – Rarely seen ocean creature Oarfish and some of the things and facts about them that you probably don’t know yet.
Deep sea creature such as oarfish can be found deep within the ocean and they are greatly elongated, pelagic lampriform fish belonging to the small family Regalecidae.
There were a lot of them already went ashore in the Philippines and some couldn’t help but think that the surfacing of these sea serpents might mean something dangerous as it is associated with earthquake and tsunami.
Now, here are some facts about them:
- They can reach up to 56 feet (17 meters) in length and can weigh about 600 pounds (270 kilograms) which makes them as world’s longest bony fish.
- They lack scales unlike other fishes. Also they look like giant snake or dragon.
- Their flesh can rarely be seen in the market as well and it’s gelatinous consistency is not well regarded for eating.
- They can’t live in regions with sea waves. They are found really deep within and emerging on shore either dead or injured.
- It accordingly symbolizes disaster such as Tsunami or Earthquake. In Japan, there were around 20 oarfishes found on the shore before the earthquake in 2011 happened. Accordingly, these deep sea creatures are sensitive when it comes movements of active faults.
- They just eat tiny planktons.
- They don’t have swim bladders in order to move swiftly up and down with the water.
READ ALSO THE FOLLOWING:
- List Of The Most Poisonous Animals In The World
- Here’s List Of The Fastest Animals In The World
- List Of Biggest Animals Of Their Kind In The World
What can you say about this?
Source: Oh Fact