President Duterte Allegedly Plans To Extend Martial Law In Mindanao Region
President Rodrigo Duterte said that he would like to extend the 60-day martial law he declared in the entire Mindanao region to control the clash in Marawi.
Previously, President Duterte declared martial law throughout the entire region of Mindanao Island after the Maute Terrorist Group attacked Marawi City. The martial rule has been imposed by the president to control the situation in the beleaguered city.
The Marawi siege has started when the government troops have raided the hideout of the Abu Sayyaf leader Isnilon Hapilon who asked for reinforcement from the Maute Group and fought back the government forces.
The extended gun battle between the terrorists and the government forces turned the city into a chaotic scenery. It also severely affects the residents who chose to leave the city fearing for their lives and for their own safety.
The government forces were currently doing their best to stop the terrorism in the besieged city. MILF and several private sectors are already making efforts to help the government to deal with the unstoppable militants.
On Friday (July 07, 2017), Mr. Duterte said that he will only lift the martial law if the sporadic firefight between the Maute Group and the government forces have already subsided. He declared the martial law last May 23, 2017, and to be expired in about two weeks.
He also said that the militants were suspected as members of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria or known as ISIS. As of now, the terrorists are still holding hostages and fighting the authorities, which raises the concern of the government.
What can you say about President Duterte’s plan to extend the 60-day martial law period in the region of Mindanao? Just feel free to leave your comments and reactions for this article