List of Branches of Chemistry & the Specific Study under Each
BRANCHES OF CHEMISTRY – Here is a full list of the branches under this field in Science and their specific studies.
Science covers a wide range of topics. Thus, it is part of the school curriculum in the Philippines from Kindergarten to college. All topics are arranged based on the learning capacity of the children based on age as well as the difficulty of the topic.
Science has several branches such as Biology, Physical Science, and Chemistry among others. There are several sub-branches under them such as the branches of Biology, branches of Physical Science, as well as branches of chemistry.
In high school and college, among the topics that are discussed in-depth are about chemistry. As a whole, it is a study about the properties and behavior of matter as well as the properties, composition, and structure of substances.
There are five (5) branches of chemistry in Science such as the Organic Chemistry, the Inorganic Chemistry, the Analytical Chemistry, the Physical Chemistry, and the Biochemistry. Here are their specific studies:
- Organic Chemistry — This field of study deals with the learning about carbon and its compounds. It also studies the chemistry of life and the reactions that occur in living organisms.
- Inorganic Chemistry — Opposite to the Organic Chemistry, this studies the inorganic compounds or those that do not have a C-H bond. It is also where ionic compounds, minerals, organometallic compounds, cluster compounds, and solid-state compounds are discussed.
- Analytical Chemistry — Also one of the main branches of chemistry is the Analytical Chemistry which is the study of matter and the development of tools that are used to measure it. It also deals with the teaching of quantitaive and qualitative analysis, extractions, separations, spectrometry, distillation, and spectroscopy.
- Physical Chemistry — This is the branch of chemistry that deals with the application of physics to the study of chemistry like the applications of thermodynamics and quantum mechanics.
- Biochemistry — This field of study teaches about the chemical processes that occur inside of living organisms. Among the topics under this branch are proteins, nucleic acids, lipids, drugs, carbohydrates, and neurotransmitters.
Aside from the aforementioned main branches of chemistry, there are other branches in the field. Here’s a list of the other branches:
- Astrochemistry — the study of the abundance of elements and compounds in the universe
- Chemical Kinetics — the study of the rates of chemical reactions and processes and the factors that affect chemical kinetics.
- Electrochemistry — is the study of the movement of charge in chemical systems
- Green Chemistry — is the study of the ways of minimizing the environmental impact of chemical processes
- Geochemistry — the study of nature and properties of geological materials and processes
- Nuclear Chemistry — the study of the reactions between protons, neutrons, and subatomic particles
- Polymer Chemistry — the study of the synthesis and properties of macromolecules and polymers
- Quantum Chemistry — the study of the application of quantum mechanics to model and explore chemical systems
- Radiochemistry — the study of the nature of radioisotopes
- Theoretical Chemistry — is the branch of chemistry that deals with the application of mathematics, physics, and computer programming to find solutions for chemistry questions