Personal background of Mike Enrique and his career.
MIKE ENRIQUEZ – Here are some details about the personal life and career of the Kapuso veteran broadcaster.
Enriquez has over 50 years of experience broadcasting. He was the President of RGMA Network, Inc. and GMA Network’s Senior Vice President and Consultant for Radio Operations.
He also etched a name on radio broadcasting as he anchored DZBB’s “Super Balita sa Umaga” and “Saksi sa Dobol B”. The multi-awarded broadcaster was best known as an anchor for GMA Network’s 24 Oras, GMA’s flagship newscast.
Mike Enriquez Life
He was the eldest of three children born on September 29, 1951. He died on August 29, 2023, which saddened a lot of people. The media industry mourned over the great loss of a true legend when it comes to broadcasting.
He was married to Lizabeth “Baby” Yumping.
Mike Enriquez Education
He earned his degree in Commerce from De La Salle University. He was an active member of the church and used to be an altar boy. He wanted to become a priest but his parents won’t allow him, hence, the degree in Commerce.
Mike Enriquez Career
His career started in 1969 as a staff announcer for Manila Broadcasting Company. He also worked as a broadcast reporter, news editor, program director, and station manager. He also worked in Freedom Broadcasting Radio Network and Radio Mindanao Network (RMN).
He was also the one who brought success to DWKC 93.9 but left in 1995. In 1995, he was convinced to become an anchor. He first appeared as a reporter during the 1995 senatorial election coverage.
In 1998, he anchored a late-night newscast GMA Network News and in 1999, he returned to radio broadcasting.
In 2000, he hosted Imbestigador and in 2004, he joined Frontpage.
Among the iconic events he reported included the Payatas landslide, the Iraq War, the Funeral of Pope John Paul II in the Vatican, and the events in Tacloban when Supertyphoon Haiyan hit the Philippines.
Mike Enriquez Awards
In his 50-year career, he was recognized and these are his awards:
- Best Newscaster Award from Asian Television Awards in 1999
- Best Male Newscaster and Ka Doroy Valencia Broadcaster of the Year Award from Golden Dove Awards in 1999
- Best News Presenter from Asian Television Awards in 2000
- Best Newscaster For Television from Golden Dove Awards in 2000
- Best Public Affairs Host for Radio from Golden Dove Awards in 2000
- Best Male Newscaster from PMPC Star Awards for TV in 2000
- Best Public Service Program Host from PMPC Star Awards for TV in 2001
- Best News Commentary from Catholic Mass Media Awards in 2002
- Best TV Newscaster Metro Manila from Golden Dove Awards in 2002
- Best Public Affairs Program Host from Golden Dove Awards in 2002
- Best Newscaster Award from National Consumers Award in 2003
- Gold Medal from New York Festivals in 2003
- Outstanding Television Host from National Consumers Award in 2004
- Silver Camera Award from US Film and Video Festival in 2004
- Outstanding Television Host Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption in 2004
- Broadcast Excellence Award from BizNews Asia in 2014
- Most Outstanding Male News Anchor from Gawad Lasallianeta Awards in 2022
- Most Trusted Radio Presenter from Annual Reader’s Digest Trusted Brands Awards in 2023
Mike Enriquez Death
The death of Enriquez was confirmed by his network, GMA, on August 29, 2023. He was 71 years old. No cause of death has been disclosed but his health struggles in the past years were public. The industry mourned over the great loss.
Thank you for visiting Philnews.ph. You may express your thoughts and reactions below through the comment section. You may also follow us on Facebook, on Twitter, and subscribe to our YouTube channel Philnews Ph.