MODAL VERBS EXAMPLES – Below is a guide on the definition and samples of modal verbs as well as when they are used in a sentence.
Verb is one of the English topics which is very wide and has several types. One of it is modal verb which will be discussed below including the definition, the modal verbs examples, and a guide on how each modal verb is used in a sentence.
Modal Verbs – What Is A Modal Verb and How To Use It In A Sentence
Here are some things to know about modal verbs and their usage.
MODAL VERBS – The definition and usage of modal verbs as they can be confusing to use in constructing a sentence.
The modal verbs are auxiliary verbs or helper verbs that are used together with the main verb. They are oftentimes tricky to be used in a sentence but knowing their specific uses will make things easier for sure.
Below are the frequently used ones that when used in a statement, it can change the entire course of the thought:
Here are the uses with examples:
- LIKELIHOOD (should, must)
- She must be so proud of her boyfriend.
- I should work on Saturday.
- You should help your friends.
- POSSIBILITY (could, may, might)
- You might get hurt again if you take him back.
- You may call me at 9.
- I might go later if there’s no meeting at the office.
- ABILITY (cannot, can’t)
- I can’t answer the phone.
- You can’t make me eat that.
- Tom can’t meet me on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- ASKING PERMISSION (can, may, could)
- May I go out?
- Can you say it out loud?
- Can you lend me some money?
- REQUEST (will, would, can, could)
- Will you take these books to the library?
- Would you rather die than love me?
- Can you throw the garbage?
- COMMAND (must, have to, need to)
- You have to go to school.
- I need to attend to some important matters on Monday.
- Lyn must answer the phone or else!
- SUGGESTION (should, could)
- There’s a new restaurant outside the company, we should try it!
- I should go somewhere to forget him.
- We could take the early bus tomorrow.
- HABIT (would, will, used to)
- I would fall asleep to the sound of the rain.
- I will always wait for you.
- She used to smile a lot but since her mother died, everything changed.
- Philippine Music – Influences Of The Music In The Philippines
- Compound Words – When Is It Closed, Open, Or Hyphenated?
What can you say about this? Let us know!