WHAT IS A COLLECTIVE NOUN – Here are the definition of collective nouns and some examples under this type of noun.
Nouns come in many types. It is important to know the main features and purpose of each type so as it would be easier to name them the next time around.
Collective Nouns – What Is A Collective Noun and Some Examples
Here are some examples of collective nouns and its definition.
COLLECTIVE NOUNS – A noun is a part of speech and here is the definition of a collective noun, one of its types.
A noun is a part of speech that refers to a thing, a person, an animal, a place, a quality, an idea, or an action. Every sentence pretty much has a noun in it and it has several types.
Types of nouns:
- Proper Nouns
- Common Nouns
- Singular Nouns
- Plural Nouns
- Countable Nouns
- Uncountable Nouns
- Collective Nouns
- Concrete Nouns
- Abstract Nouns
And in this post, we will be diving into collective nouns and their examples. Collective nouns are words that refer to a sort of group or collective of people, animals, things, and among others.
Here are some examples:
- Herd – a group of herbivore animals
- Pack – a group of canine animals
- Flock – a group of birds
- Swarm – a group of insects
- Shoal – a group of fish
- Group – a very general term used to describe people, places, things, and animals
- Crowd – a group of people
- Gang – a group of criminals or also used to describe a group of workers
- Mob – a group of angry or unruly group of people or a group of kangaroos
- Staff – a group of people who work in the same place
- Choir – a large, organized group of singers
- Orchestra – a large, organized group of instrumentalists with a conductor in the lead
- Panel – a group of experts
- Heap – a collection of items
- Stack – a group of items laid one on top of another
- Series – like the Star Trek or Harry Potter series
Some examples in a sentence:
- A band of musicians will grace the city’s festival.
- I was met with a crowd of people looking at me because I was late.
- A gang of thieves entered the bank and got whatever they want.
- The uncovered food on the table was consumed by an army of ants.
- It’s always shivering to just imagine being attacked by a pack of wolves.
- Katarungang Panlipunan – Mga Paglabag At Mga Halimbawa
- What Is A Preposition & Its Examples – English Lesson
What can you say about this? Let us know!