Who is Amelia Lapena Bonifacio and what is her life story?
AMELIA LAPENA BONIFACIO – Grand Dame of Southeast Asian children’s theatre a.k.a Tita Amel is Amelia Lapeña-Bonifacio.
National Artist for Theatre and University also dubbed as the Grand Dame of Southeast Asian children’s theatre is Amelia Lapeña-Bonifacio. She is also called Tita Amel and was conferred the title of National Artist for Theatre on October 2018. This is the highest recognition for artists in the country.
She is a playwright, puppeteer, and educator. She founded Teatrong Mulat ng Pilipinas – a children’s theater and puppet theater company that was established in 1977.
Throughout her career, she created 10 books, 16 plays, 30 plays for children, and more than 130 short stories for children that were published by the Philippine Journal of Education. She also produced several poems, short stories, and essays.
Two short stories she made such as “Tia Purificacion” and “The Stairs” were translated into German and published by Frauen Auf Den Philippinen Frauen and Dutch published as part of the book Het Ver-Welken Van De Regenbloesem, respectively.
Among her achievements are:
- Carlos Palanca Memorial Award in Literature for One Act Play for “Dalawang Bayani” in 1995
- Carlos Palanca Memorial Award in Literature second prize, Full-Length Play for “Chinchina and the Five Mountains” in 2006
- City of Manila Outstanding Citizen Award in 2017
- Quezon City Most Outstanding Citizen Award in 2013
She was born on April 4, 1930, in Binondo, Manila, and tied the knot with Professor Emeritus of Sociology Manuel Flores Bonifacio. Lapeña-Bonifacio died on December 29, 2020. She was 90.
Some of her notable works are:
- 6 na Dulang Filipino Para Sa Mga Bata, 1976
- Tat-lu-han (Three Plays), 1975
- Ang Paglalakbay ni Sisa: Isang Noh Sa Laguna, 1998
- Isang Kyogen sa Pritil, 1977
- Sepang Loca, 1957
- Papet Pasyon, 1985
- Abadeja: Ang Ating Sinderela, 1977
- Lila Ang Kulay ng Pamamaalam Ni RM Topacio-Aplaon
- Paghahambing – Magkatulad at Di Magkatulad Na Paghahambing
What can you say about this? Let us know!