Risa Hontiveros Platforms If She Wins Senator & Her Accomplishments
RISA HONTIVEROS PLATFORMS – Here are the accomplishments of incumbent Risa Hontiveros and the things she promises to do if she gets elected as Senator in the May 2022 Elections.
Ana Theresia Navarro Hontiveros-Baraquel is a politician, journalist and community leader. She has been serving as a senator of the Republic of the Philippines since 2016.
The 56-year-old politician has authored several landmark laws on healthcare, mental health, children, women, and persons with disability. She’s now running under the Senate slate of VP Leni Robredo. She has been endorsed by opposition coalition 1Sambayan.
Risa Hontiveros married Francisco Baraquel Jr. in 1990. Unfortunately, their marriage came to a sudden end in May 2005 after the death of her husband. Baraquel suffered and succumbed to a heart attack. Before the death of her husband, the couple had been blessed with 4 children Ianna, Issa, Sinta, and Kiko.
The female politician graduated cum laude with a Bachelor of Arts degree in social sciences from the Ateneo de Manila University. From 1992 to 1998, she worked as a news anchor for the GMA network alongside Vicky Morales, Mari Kaimo, and Marga Ortigas.
Riza Hontiveros filed nearly 250 bills during her first term as a senator. Among the 17 laws she authored are the 105-Day Expanded Maternity Leave Law, Mental Health Act, the Universal Healthcare Act, and the Safe Spaces Act.
1994 – Kapisanan ng Mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas Golden Dove Awards for the Best Female Newscaster
2001 – Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) Award for advocating for peace 2005 – Nobel Peace Prize nomination
2017 – Love Gala Ripple Award for HIV-AIDS awareness
2018 – Lagablab Network Equality Champion Award
2019- Silver Rose Award for social justice
- Called on the government to “rethink” its militarized approach to the country’s COVID-19 response.
- Questioned the continued mandatory use of face shields despite a lack of scientific evidence showing their efficacy in preventing the spread of COVID-19.
- Proper implementation of the Reproductive Health Law and the Philippine HIV and AIDS Policy Act to address the rapid rise in HIV cases in the Philippines.
- Called out proposed budget cuts for public hospitals in the 2021 budget, urged a higher allocation for public health in general.
Human Rights; Welfare
- Filed an anti-elder abuse bill in the Senate in 2018.
- Authored and principally sponsored an anti-teenage pregnancy bill passed by the Senate.
- Led a Senate probe on the alleged bribery schemes at the Bureau of Immigration.
- Led a Senate probe on the trafficking of Filipino domestic workers to Syria.
- Philippines Sovereignty
- Protecting Manila’s sovereignty over the West Philippine Sea through diplomacy.
- Stressed the need in April 2021 for ASEAN members to persuade China to agree to a consensus on the Code of Conduct (COC) for the South China Sea – a legally binding agreement that has been delayed for years.
What can you say about this article? Leave your comments and reactions below.