Kapamilya supporters are making the hashtag “Ibalik Ang ABS-CBN” trend on Twitter
On May 5 last year, the Kapamilya network went off-air after the cease and desist order from the National Telecommunications Commission was released and a year after that, supporters are making “Ibalik Ang ABS-CBN” trend on Twitter.
To recall, the franchise of the giant media company expired and it was not able to secure the renewal due to various complaints. However, behind the legal issues, what was very evident to the public was that President Rodrigo Duterte was vocal about his stand regarding the ABS-CBN’s franchise.
After losing the ability to air on the free channel, the network resorted to digital platforms and continued doing shows virtually, and embraced the lock-in setup amid the pandemic. ABS-CBN was also able to secure a partnership with Channel 11 and later on with TV5.
Through these and other digital platforms, the Kapamilya network was able to survive but still, it would not be the same if it has its own franchise and airing on a free channel.
Last January, Senate President Tito Sotto filed a bill seeking the renewal of the ABS-CBN franchise. However, Anakalusugan Rep. Mike Defensor said that the franchise issue is still an unfinished business. The congressman said that the previous bills should be withdrawn first before a new bill should be filed.
In February, once again, President Duterte expressed that he will not be allowing ABS-CBN to have its come back and this slammed by celebrities who are supporting the network.
Exactly a year after the emotions signing off of the Kapamilya, netizens on Twitter supported the “Ibalik Ang ABS-CBN” call. Here are some of the tweets about this.
What can you say about this?