What Is Select? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS SELECT – In this topic, we are going to know and learn the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- carefully choose as being the best or most suitable
- mark (an option or section of text) on an electronic interface for a particular operation
- (of a group of people or things) carefully chosen from a larger number as being the best or most valuable..
- (of a place or group of people) only used by or consisting of a wealthy or sophisticated elite; exclusive.
Meanwhile, the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines this term as the following:
- chosen from a number or group by fitness or preference
- of special value or excellence
- exclusively or fastidiously chosen often with regard to social, economic, or cultural characteristics
- judicious or restrictive in choice
- to choose (as by fitness or excellence) from a number or group
- pick out
Here are some of the following synonyms:
- single out
- pick out
- sort out
- opt for
- carefully chosen
Here are some examples of the usage of this term:
- Select your favourite fruit or veg and pickle them while they are still fresh.
- Let him select a route for you and then suggest an alternate route.
- Katie had been helping her select clothing and she certainly knew how to make the most of Carmen’s soft curves.
- This gift will be a pledge of your purity of heart to her whom you select to be your worthy helpmeet in Masonry.