What Is Boast? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS BOAST– In this topic, we are going to know and learn the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- talk with excessive pride and self-satisfaction about one’s achievements, possessions, or abilities.
- (of a person, place, or thing) possess (a feature that is a source of pride).
- an act of talking with excessive pride and self-satisfaction.
Meanwhile, the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines this term as the following:
- a statement expressing excessive pride in oneself
- the act or an instance of boasting
- a cause for pride
- to praise oneself extravagantly in speech
- speak of oneself with excessive pride
- to speak of or assert with excessive pride
- to possess and often call attention to (something that is a source of pride)
- to shape (stone) roughly in sculpture and stonecutting as a preliminary to finer work
Here are some of the following synonyms:
- show off
- blow one’s own trumpet
- sing one’s own praises
Here are some examples of the usage of this term:
- “So in your parts, too, the harvest is nothing to boast of, Count?” he went on, continuing the conversation they had begun.
- The Malays cannot, strictly speaking, be said to possess a literature, for none of their writings can boast any literary beauty or value.
- He could boast that he left the relations between the United States and Canada on an excellent footing.
- A trigonometrical survey of British India was begun in 1800 and the country can now boast of a survey which in most respects is equal to those of most European states.