What Is Significance? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS SIGNIFICANCE– In this topic, we are going to know and learn the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- the quality of being worthy of attention; importance.
- the meaning to be found in words or events.
- the extent to which a result deviates from that expected to arise simply from random variation or errors in sampling.
- something that is conveyed as a meaning often obscurely or indirectly
- the quality or state of being odd
- the quality of conveying or implying
- the quality of being important
- the quality of being statistically significant
Here are some of the following synonyms:
It is a late Middle English term, which is from the Old French term or from the Latin term significantia, which is from significare or ‘indicate, portend’.
Here are some examples of the usage of this term:
- She saw her husband, but did not realize the significance of his appearance before her now.
- But this was only the external condition; the essential significance of the presence of the Emperor and of all these people, from a courtier’s point of view (and in an Emperor’s vicinity all became courtiers), was clear to everyone.
- After the fatigues and impressions of the journey, his reception, and especially after having dined, Bolkonski felt that he could not take in the full significance of the words he heard.
- Alex was romantic enough to understand the sentimental significance of the home she had inherited.