What Is Infer? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS INFER – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- deduce or conclude (information) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to derive as a conclusion from facts or premises
- to involve as a normal outcome of thought
- to point out
- suggest or hint
Here are the following synonyms of this term:
- work out
It is a late 15th century term from the Latin term inferre, which means ‘bring in, bring about’
Here are some of the examples:
- May we infer deductively that they have been attained because of the increase of speculative transactions?
- And from every experience they have had in their lives, we would be able to infer what was successful and what was not successful.
- From this we may infer the limitation upon the width of the source of light, in order that the bands may be properly formed.
- Nor is it unjust to infer that the sense of opposition provoked some of the Cynics to an overweening display of superiority.