What Is Misfortune? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS MISFORTUNE – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- an unfortunate condition or event.
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- an event or conjunction of events that causes an unfortunate or distressing result
- bad luck
- an unhappy situation
- a distressing or unfortunate incident or event
Here are the following synonyms of this term:
- reverse of fortune
It is a combination of the prefix mis- and fortune, with the latter being the Middle English term derived from the Latin Fortuna, the name of a goddess personifying luck or chance.
Here are some of the examples:
- On the 27th Manin left Venice for ever on board a French ship. His wife died at Marseilles, and he himself reached Paris broken in health and almost destitute, having spent all his fortune for Venice.
- For a great heiress and a very ambitious girl the marriage scarcely seemed brilliant, for Stael had no fortune and no very great personal distinction.
- Here begins the long line of official deputies, often men of moderate birth and fortune.
- He was also prominent and successful in business and accumulated a large fortune.