What Is Incinerate? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS INCINERATE – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- destroy (something, especially waste material) by burning.
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to cause to burn to ashes
Here are the following synonyms of this term:
- burn up
- reduce to ashes
- consume by fire
It is a late 15th century term which is from medieval Latin term incinerat-, which means ‘burnt to ashes’. This came from the verb incinerare, which is from the two words in– or ‘into, towards’; and cinis, ciner– or ‘ashes’.
Here are some of the examples:
- The government is proposing to incinerate cattle carcasses at 22 sites, some of which are in populated areas.
- The craft they are on will eventually reenter the atmosphere and incinerate.
- What the fire didn’t incinerate, the electrified clouds would.
- For years, burn pits were used to incinerate all kinds of unwanted stuff–from waste to hazardous materials and even chemicals.