What Is Excellence? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS EXCELLENCE – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary described this term as the following:
- the quality of being outstanding or extremely good
- an outstanding feature or quality.
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- he quality of being excellent
- an excellent or valuable quality
Synonyms and Antonyms
Here are the following synonyms and antonyms of this term:
- high quality
It is a late Middle English term which is derived from the Latin excellentia, which is from the verb excellere or ‘surpass’ in English.
- Babylonian art, however, had already attained a high degree of excellence; two seal cylinders of the time of Sargon are among the most beautiful specimens of the gem-cutter’s art ever discovered.
- Charpentier in his Excellence de la langue francaise (1683) had anticipated Perrault in the famous academical dispute concerning the relative merit of the ancients and moderns.
- Since Bel signifies the “lord” or “master” par excellence, it is, therefore, a title rather than a genuine name, and must have been given to a deity who had acquired a position at the head of a pantheon.
- Paz Soldan and other Peruvian geographers give the name of Andes, par excellence, to the Eastern Cordillera.