What Is Hide? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS HIDE – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary described this term as the following:
- put or keep out of sight; conceal from the view or notice of others.
- (of a thing) prevent (someone or something) from being seen.
- keep secret or unknown.
- conceal oneself.
- use (someone or something) to protect oneself from criticism or punishment, especially in a way considered cowardly or unethical.
- the skin of an animal, especially when tanned or dressed.
- used to refer to a person’s ability to withstand criticisms or insults.
- a former measure of land used in England, typically equal to between 60 and 120 acres, being the amount that would support a family and its dependents.
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to put out of sight
- to conceal for shelter or protection
- to keep secret
- to screen from or as if from view
- to turn (the eyes or face) away in shame or anger
- the skin of an animal whether raw or prepared for use —used especially of large heavy skins
- the life or physical well-being of a person
- a trace or visible sign of someone or something
- to give a beating to
- any of various old English units of land area
Here are some of the examples:
- My heart fell, knowing the session I’d left behind was over and with it, our final attempt to locate Grasso’s hide away.
- The urge to hide forever made her feel sick.
- What are you going to hide from me that I haven’t already seen?
- But the more he tried to hide it the more clearly–clearer than any words could have done–did he betray to himself, to her, and to Princess Mary that he loved her.