What Is Familiar? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS FAMILIAR – In this topic, we will first know the definition of the term “familiar” and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary described this term as the following:
- well known from long or close association.
- often encountered or experienced; common
- having a good knowledge of.
- in close friendship; intimate
- informal to an inappropriate degree
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- a member of the household of a high official
- one who is often seen and well known
- an intimate associate
- one who is well acquainted with something
- one who frequents a place
Synonyms and Antonyms
Here are the following synonyms and antonyms of this term:
It is derived from the Old French term familier, which came from Latin familiaris, which, then, is derived from familia which means ‘household servants’ or ‘family’.
Here are some of the examples:
- A longtime familiar of the bar, she would most likely have been there on the night in question.
- Unlike me, Betsy was very familiar with the house having spent much time with Martha and Claire.
- Kiera sought an explanation, recalling he was not familiar with most slang despite his mastery of English.