Journalists, Editors, Media Workers’ Reaction to Congress’s Rejection of ABS-CBN Franchise Renewal
ABS-CBN – Journalists, editors, and media workers’ statement on ABS-CBN franchise rejection.
On July 10, the House Franchise Committee rejected the plea of ABS-CBN to be given a new franchise. Several issues were thrown against the company after its franchise expired.
The media giant had been trying to renew its franchise since 2014 but it faced a lot of roadblock especially under President Duterte’s administration. In 2019, he vowed to block the tv network’s franchise renewal.
In a previous article, actor Gerald Anderson posted a video of ABS-CBN President Carlo Katigbak thanking his “Kapamilya” following their franchise bid denial. It came with a caption, “Leader. A boss has the title.. A leader has the people.”
A day after the lawmakers rejected the company’s franchise application, celebrities expressed their dismay on social media.
Based on a report from ABS-CBN News, more than 500 journalists, media workers, and editors issued a statement after the House panel denied the tv network’s franchise application.
“We condemn the unjust and cruel decision of the House committee that threatens the livelihood of workers as we are facing uncertainties due to the pandemic…
“The rejection of ABS-CBN’s franchise bill sounds the death kneel to a credible source of news and a huge attack on press freedom in the country,” they said.
The journalists slammed the lawmakers who rejected ABS-CBN’s franchise renewal. They said “the 70 lawmakers clearly want to treat the press as a propaganda machine that will serve their political interests, embellish their image, and parrot their spin.”
Read their full statement below:
What can you say about this article? Leave your comments and reactions below.