Who Are The Characters In The Cask Of Amontillado?
CHARACTERS IN THE CASK OF AMONTILLADO – In this topic, we are going to learn and identify the characters in the Cask of Amontillado.
Also spelled The Casque of Amontillado, it is a well-known short story written by American writer, poet, editor, and critic Edgar Allan Poe.
The story took place in an unnamed city in Italy and it is about a man who took a deadly revenge on his friend who he thinks insulted him.
You can read the full summary of the short story right here.
According to CourseHero, here are the following characters:
- The narrator of the short story. He is a complex and intriguing character whose thirst for revenge drives the story. His family motto is Nemo me impune lacessit, which means “no one insults me with impunity,” which is his drive to murder his friend.
- Montressor’s friend and his victim. His name means “The Fortunate One”. He first appeared in Montressor’s tale of how he insulted the latter. He tooks pride in his wine in connoisseur.
- Another wine expert, which Fortunato dislikes. He does not appear in the story in person, but Montresor repeatedly mentions him to Fortunato.
- Montressor’s Friend
- An unknown person, who knows Montressor well, which the latter narrated about his murder of Fortunato.
- The Servants
- Montressor ordered his servants not to leave the house.
READ ALSO: Who Are The Characters In Les Miserables? (ANSWER)