The jury’s decision is not in favor of Manny Pacquiao
Boxer-turned-politician Manny Pacquiao was ordered by a jury in a California court to pay $5.1 million, which is approximately P282 million, for “breach of contract.”
Back in 2021, Paradigm Sports Management (PSM) filed a case against PacMan for having a deal with TGB Promotions even though they already have an existing contract. With this, it was said that PSM was not able to fulfill its duty in arranging fights for the Pambansang Kamao.
Based on the report from The Philippine Star, Pacquiao was supposed to have a fight with Conor McGregor who is PMS’s stable but this did not push through.
The Filipino boxer ended up signing a different contract and the fight was against Errol Spence Jr. However, Spence was replaced by Yordenis Ugas due to injury. In their fight in 2021, Pacquiao lost and that was his last pro fight.
The Pinoy boxing champ only had an exhibition fight with Korean video blogger DK Yoo in December last year.
On May 3, the jury reached a verdict and this is in favor of PSM. Manny Pacquiao was ordered to pay the aforementioned amount. It was said that it includes $1.8 million in damages and the $3.3 million advance payment that PSM gave to PacMan.
Atty. Bruce Cleeland, the legal counsel of Pacquiao, claimed during the trial that PSM failed to live up to their commitments to the Pinoy boxing champ. However, the sports company contradicted this claim and questioned Pacquiao’s credibility. On April 27, 2023, Pacquiao’s lawyer and PSM legal counsel had their closing arguments.
What can you say about this?