What Is Beauty? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS BEAUTY – In this topic, we are going to know and learn the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- a combination of qualities, such as shape, color, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, especially the sight.
- a combination of qualities that pleases the intellect or moral sense.
- denoting something intended to make a woman more attractive.
- a beautiful woman.
- an excellent specimen or example of something.
- the pleasing or attractive features of something.
- the best feature or advantage of something.
Meanwhile, the Merriam-Webster dictionary defines this term as the following:
- the quality or aggregate of qualities in a person or thing that gives pleasure to the senses or pleasurably exalts the mind or spirit
- a beautiful person or thing
- a beautiful woman
- a particularly graceful, ornamental, or excellent quality
- a brilliant, extreme, or egregious example or instance
Here are some of the following synonyms:
- good looks
Here are some examples of the usage of this term:
- It was very beautiful; but the idle fairies were too much frightened at the mischief their disobedience had caused, to admire the beauty of the forest, and at once tried to hide themselves among the bushes, lest King Frost should come and punish them.
- I could see the way Ginger looked; all her beauty gone, her beautiful arched neck drooping, all the spirit gone out of her flashing eyes, all the playfulness gone out of her manner.
- Rostov looked inimically at Pierre, first because Pierre appeared to his hussar eyes as a rich civilian, the husband of a beauty, and in a word–an old woman; and secondly because Pierre in his preoccupation and absent-mindedness had not recognized Rostov and had not responded to his greeting.
- She turned away from the beauty of the ranch, reminding herself that she had made the decision to leave.
READ ALSO: What Is Hierarchy? Definition And Usage Of This Term