Chlorine | About The Element And The Following Uses
CHLORINE – In this topic, we are going to know and learn the element Chlorine and some of its following uses.
It is a chemical element with the symbol Cl, and the atomic number 17, hence, it is 17Cl.
It is the second lightest of the halogens and appears between fluorine and bromine in the periodic table.
It appears as a yellow-green gas at room temperature. The element is an extremely reactive element and a strong oxidising agent.
The element has the highest electron affinity and the third-highest electronegativity on the Pauling scale.
It plays an important role in the experiments conducted by medieval alchemists. This usually involved in the heating of chloride salts like ammonium chloride and sodium chloride.
Uses and Properties
Here are some of its uses, according to RSC:
- Bacteria Killing
- The element is a disinfectant used to treat drinking water and swimming pool water.
- Consumer Products
- It is used to make hundreds of consumer products from paper to paints, and from textiles to insecticides.
- Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
- 20% of this element is used to make PVC, a very versatile plastic used in window frames, car interiors, electrical wiring insulation, water pipes, blood bags and vinyl flooring.
- Organic Chemistry
- The element is used as an oxidising agent and in substitution reactions.
- 85% of this element or its compounds are used at some stage in their manufacture.