What Is Humane? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS HUMANE – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- having or showing compassion or benevolence.
- (of a branch of learning) intended to have a civilizing or refining effect on people.
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- marked by compassion, sympathy, or consideration for humans or animals
- characterized by or tending to broad humanistic culture
Here are some of the following synonyms of this term:
It is a late Middle English term which is the earlier form of the term human.
Here are some examples of the usage of this term:
- Not that I am less humane than others, but I did not perceive that my feelings were much affected.
- Bearbaiting, till within comparatively recent times, was a favourite sport throughout Europe, but, along with cock-fighting and badger-baiting, has gradually disappeared before a more humane civilization.
- The rising of 1863 may without injustice be said to be due to the more humane policy of the tsar Alexander II.
- This task was principally executed by Juan Vazquez de Coronado (or Vasquez de Coronada), an able and humane governor appointed in 1562, whose civilizing work was undone by the almost uninterrupted maladministration of his fifty-eight successors.