What Is Stare? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS STARE – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- look fixedly or vacantly at someone or something with one’s eyes wide open
- (of a thing) be unpleasantly prominent or striking.
- a long fixed or vacant look.
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to look fixedly often with wide-open eyes
- to show oneself conspicuously
- to stand on end
- to have an effect on by staring
- to look at with a searching or earnest gaze
Here are the following synonyms of this term:
- watch closely
It is derived from the Old English starian, which is from Germanic origin, which means ‘be rigid’.
Here are some of the examples:
- He just smiled and waved, with his efforts earning a blank stare from the redhead.
- He unfolded it only when in the safety of his locked room and sat it down on the desk to stare at it.
- Taran released him and turned to stare hard at Sirian, whose calm features hid any emotion he might feel.
- She read, paced, and finally just lay down to stare at the ceiling until morning came.