What Is Remain? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS REMAIN – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary defines the term as the following:
- continue to exist, especially after other similar or related people or things have ceased to exist.
- stay in the place that one has been occupying.
- continue to possess a particular quality or fulfill a particular role.
- be left over after others or other parts have been completed, used, or dealt with.
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to be a part not destroyed, taken, or used up
- to be something yet to be shown, done, or treated
- to stay in the same place or with the same person or group
- to continue unchanged
- a dead body
- a remaining part or trace
Here are the following synonyms of this term:
- go on
- carry on
- hang in the air
- stay behind
- stay put
- wait around
It is a late Middle English term which is from Old French that is a stressed stem of remanoir, which is then derived from the Latin remanere, a combination of the prefix re– and manere or ‘to stay‘.
Here are some of the examples:
- People had limited control over their emotions, but they could certainly remain in control of their actions.
- Howie was unable to remain sleeping long enough for any success on his last attempt.
- He expected her to push him away and slap him, and he was prepared to leave and remain furious at her for the next week or two.
- One morning I locked my mother up in the pantry, where she was obliged to remain three hours, as the servants were in a detached part of the house.
READ ALSO: What Is Persuade? Definition And Usage Of This Term