What Is “Spill”? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS SPILL – In this topic, we will first know the definition of this term and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary described this term as the following:
- cause or allow (liquid) to flow over the edge of its container, especially unintentionally.
- a quantity of liquid that has spilled or been spilled.
- a fall from a horse or bicycle.
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to cause or allow especially accidentally or unintentionally to fall, flow, or run out so as to be lost or wasted
- to cause (blood) to be lost by wounding
- to let out
- to relieve (a sail) from the pressure of the wind so as to reef or furl it
- to relieve the pressure of (wind) on a sail by coming about or by adjusting the sail with lines
- to throw off or out
- to flow, run, or fall out, over, or off and become wasted, scattered, or lost
- to cause or allow something to spill
- to spread profusely or beyond bounds
Here are the following synonyms of this term:
It is derived from the Old English spillan which means ‘kill, destroy, waste, shed (blood’).
Here are some of the examples:
- She left it down, letting the soft curls spill over her shoulders For a minute she fought back panic.
- Tears began to spill again, and she began to understand how Darian felt, utterly alone and abandoned in the corner of her mind.
- One day I happened to spill water on my apron, and I spread it out to dry before the fire which was flickering on the sitting-room hearth.
- Tears of fury threatened to spill, but she could not, would not let Sirian see her weakness!