What Is Criticize? Definition And Usage Of This Term
WHAT IS CRITICIZE – In this topic, we will first know the definition of the term “criticize” and how is this term used in sentences.
The Oxford Dictionary described this term as the following:
- indicate the faults of (someone or something) in a disapproving way.
- form and express a sophisticated judgment of (a literary or artistic work)
On the other hand, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines this term as the following:
- to consider the merits and demerits of and judge accordingly
- to find fault with or point out the faults of
Synonyms and Antonyms
Here are the following synonyms and antonyms of this term:
- find fault with
- approve of
It came from two words critic and the suffix -ize. The word critic came from the Ancient Greek word (κριτικός) kritikós, which means “of or for judging, able to discern”, which came from krísis (κρίσις ) which means “crisis“.
Here are some of the examples:
- The judge was widely criticized for his verdict.
- The editor criticized the author’s work as trite.
- It is unfair to criticize teachers for not promoting students who cannot perform at their grade level.
- It is tempting to criticize the trial by ordeal, wager of law and judicial combat for their apparent irrationality and cruelty.