Palace is confident that Congress will consider the workforce in deciding for ABS-CBN franchise
ABS-CBN Franchise – The Malacañang Palace said in a statement that is expecting the Congress to consider the Kapamilya network’s workforce in giving the decision on its franchise.
On Thursday, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, though with consideration to the workforce of ABS-CBN, reiterated that the TV giant should secure its license first to continue its operation.
“Tingnan natin kung ano ang maging desisyon ng Kongreso, pero hindi po natin sila pupuwedeng panghimasukan bagama’t sigurado po ako na iko-consider din ng mga congressmen at ng mga senador ang kapakanan ng mga mawawalan ng trabaho,” Roque said, based on the report from ABS-CBN.
Previously, it was reported that the media company is losing P35 million a day since it stopped its broadcast on free TV last May 5. In an earlier statement, ABS-CBN president and CEO Carlo Katigbak said that the company might start laying off employees in August due to this problem.
Roque also said that just like the whole Philippines, it is very saddening that there will come a time that more people will face unemployment amid the pandemic.
However, in a statement released on Thursday, the Department of Labor and Employment slammed the attempt of the lawyers representing the Kapamilya network, as well as its officials to “deceive members of the House of Representatives in its bid to gain congressional approval for a new franchise.”
“Our labor inspectors found violations of laws and standards by ABS CBN. And on account of those findings, the company took steps to correct those infractions,” DOLE said.
What can you say about this?